If you are a badminton player and know much about the game, then you must be well aware that stringing your badminton racket is an inexorable process. The strings in your racket are bound to be repaired at one or the other time, especially if you have been using the racket for a long time. Time and again, you are required to restring your Badminton Racket
, even if you purchased it as a pre-strung racket.
Stringing of any racket is a slightly tricky process which needs you to consider a few aspects. However, maintaining a Yonex Racket
is not that complex as they are very durable. If you are a beginner, then you would need to understand the correct string tension, which are the best quality strings that you need to use and the perfect stringing pattern which you should adopt.
Being a starter you might not know the importance of stringing. Poor string tension in your badminton racket would lead to unsatisfactory performance and affect your play. Your shuttle might not spring as high as it should when you serve and would not travel too far when hitting it above the net.
Restringing the Yonex Badminton racket
aptly would not be a problem for you. You would be able to do it yourself as well if you own a restringing machine. Also, you can take it to a professional for getting it repaired. It costs a considerable amount for buying a restringing machine, but it would be beneficial for you to buy it if you are a regular badminton player.
Before you string your racket, there are a few things that you would need to have:
The things that you would need are strings, badminton racket, a stringing machine, clippers, awl- so that you can unblock the blocked string holes which are on your racket, pliers, and also a ruler.
After gathering all the items, you can start with the stringing process. If you are a beginner, you would need to understand and master the best stringing idea and pattern that you should use for your Yonex racket.
So, lets learn how to restring your Yonex Racket
carefully lest you wreck the racket-
1) First, you would need to measure the size of your the string that you would need for your racket. But make sure when you buy a replacement string it should be a synthetic one, not a gut string because synthetic strings are more durable. Using thinner strings would help you to play even better. But the only drawback with them is that they lose their tension faster as compared to the thicker strings.
2) After that, you need to select the amount of tension that you would need in the strings of your badminton racket. You would be able to aim the shuttle better if you have tight strings; as loose strings would prevent you from hitting the shuttle farther. Please note down the pattern of the string on your racket before taking off the strings. Restringing the racquet without remembering the pattern might damage the racquet.
3) Once you have the strings, then you need to straighten the strings to take of any unwanted kinks. This would help in avoiding any mess, once you have initiated with the stringing process. After that prepare your racket for stringing process by removing old strings on your racket and unclogging the string holes.
4)Once all this is done, you need to mount the racket and search for the starting point for stringing. Then hold the neck and head of the racket into the stringing machine as it should stay firm when completing the complete process.
5) First, you should put the main string in. Once you are well aware and checked the stringing point, put the main string in it and then pull one end of the string through the strings hole directly which is opposite to the starting mark. After that, you should tie the end of the string to the initiating point and run the other ends through the hole which is parallel to the point from where you started. The stringing machine would then pull up the strings to the tension which you had pre-set.
6) You can set the horizontal strings as well by using the same method. When you string the crosses, you need to weave these strings over & under the main strings so that the cross string can reach the opposite side of the hole on the racket. You need to remove the extra strings and tie it with a double knot. Once you are done stringing all the strings, then you should tie the knots of the string. But before you make the knots, it is essential to make sure that your racket is clamped well to avert the tension on the strings which would not let it loose. Once all the cross strings are completed, you should tie the knots and unclamp your racket.
7)Once this process is completed, you should take your Badminton Racket
for a test to the court so that if you face any issues, you can correct them immediately, instead of checking on the day of your tournament.
Here are few tips for you to make things easier when repairing your badminton strings-
1) Save the strings- There are numerous ways how your strings are connected to your badminton racket. In a few cases, a racket has two big strings: one is for the vertical, and the other one is for horizontal strings. Also in some cases, your racket might have plenty of single strings: one would be for each main and other for each horizontal.
In case each string is broken, you can quickly clear away the unwanted string, and the other strings would be preserved. And if there are only two long strings, then you can use a knot to connect the last string to the grommet. You need to ensure that you manage the perfect tension and you need to use a specific clamp when you are putting the knot. After that, you can remove the rest of the strings which are broken.
2) Replace only the defective one- When you attach the fresh string, you need to bring it from one side to the other of the spout that has a missing string. You need to ensure that you are inlaying the cord next to the weaving. Say for example, if you restore a horizontal string. Every time the horizontal string at the bottom falls underlying the major axis, the string of your badminton should go beyond the main axis and the other way round.
3) Racket inspection is vital- Well, this is something to remind, but you should make sure that you inspect your racket on a regular basis. It is always crucial to do so before starting the restringing process. Inspect if there are any cracks or drooped areas in or around the frame. In case there are any such defects in your badminton racket, then you would have to be very careful as it could break your racket if you put it under pressure to restring it.
If the racket breaks while doing stretching, this might lead to damage. Any defects in the frame imply its time for you to buy a New Badminton Racket.
You should also check for injuries or missing loops during the stringing process. Damaged loops give added tension to your bat, which might cause it to break even more quickly. It is simple and favourable to change broken or missing grommets while doing string replacement.
Do not forget that while a professional restring your racket, these errors are checked. So, it is crucial that you do the same. You would not want them to penalize or ask for some money for repairing or doing a replacement which you dont even need.
4)Adjust voltage according to your needs- If you do the re-stringing procedure of your Yonex racket yourself or by taking it to a professional, you would need to find out what tension you need. The reason is that the tension of the string always affects how much control and power you get while playing the game. It would also induce how long your string lasts.
If you are a starter, begin with somewhere between 17 pounds to 20 pounds of tension. If you are a middle-level player, you can raise the tension to 22- 24 pounds. You may increase it slowly as your skills enhance.
Usually, professional level Badminton players use the tension of around 30 pounds or more. However, you need to be cautious never to overestimate the range of tension you require. A lot of tension would come from your wrist each time you hit the badminton. This might cause an injury.
These were few tips and process of stringing your Yonex Badminton Racket
. This would help you improve your play and maintaining your racket too.